Maps of the Delaware Hundreds in 1868

The following are PDF’s of several Delaware Hundred Maps for the year 1868. The maps show who owned land. There are also 1868 maps of major cities in Delaware the same year.

I gathered these maps several years ago. The following information can be found at the Delaware Geological Society website –

Hundreds map of Delaware from 1875 to the present

History On October 25, 1682, William Penn directed that Delaware be divided into townships occupied by 100 families. Each family would have an average of about 10 members (including servants). These townships were referred to as hundreds in an April 9, 1690 order by the Provincial Council. Originally, there were 5 hundreds in New Castle County, 5 in Kent County and 2 in Sussex County. As the population grew, several of the hundreds divided, creating new hundreds. In 1875, the total number of hundreds had grown to the present-day 33 hundreds. Their boundaries have essentially not changed since and no longer serve as judicial or legislative districts.   Several of the names of the hundreds end with the suffix kill (for example Broadkill, Murderkill, etc.). This suffix comes from the Old Dutch word ‘kille’ meaning river bed or channel.  

  Year   What Change Occurred? Hundreds Count
1682 William Penn divides Delaware into 12 hundreds. Brandywine, Christiana, New Castle, St. Georges, Appoquinimink, Duck Creek, Little Creek (in Kent County), St. Jones, Murderkill, Mispillion, Broadkill and Lewes & Rehoboth. 12
1702-1710 Six new hundreds created: Mill Creek, White Clay Creek, Pencader, Red Lion, Cedar Creek, and Indian River. 18
1775 Six new hundreds created: North West Fork, Nanticoke, Broad Creek, Little Creek (in Sussex County), Dagsborough, and Baltimore. 24
1830-1835 Three new hundreds created: Milford from Mispillion, Wilmington from Christiana, Georgetown from Broadkill (but Georgetown repealed in 1835). 26
1855 One new hundred create: Murderkill split into North Murderkill and South Murderkill. 27
1859 One new hundred create: Dover split into East Dover and West Dover. 28
1863 One new hundred create: Georgetown from Broadkill. 29
1869-1875 Four new hundreds created: Kenton from Little Creek and Duck Creek, Seaford from North West Fork, Gumborough from Broad Creek; Blackbird from Appoquinimink. 33

1868 Maps of Select Delaware Cities